Sunday, June 19, 2011

Chalo Dilli

The wife was telling me this morning, “We must book our tickets to Delhi for August 16 today or it will become extremely difficult to get.”

“Tickets for Delhi? Who told you we are going to Delhi on August 16? And I don’t understand why someone wants to go to Delhi on August 16. People go to Delhi on August 15 so that they can watch and take part in Independence Day celebrations. But not on August 16,” I said.

“Not on August 15, but on August 16 that is the day we will be going to Delhi,” the wife insisted, “And you know we are not going there to watch the Independence Day parade. We are going there to take part and support Anna Hazare’s fasting that he said will be starting again on August 16. The whole India will be there to support him, not only just us,” she said.

“You are mistaken, not the whole India, but some few thousands will be there to support him, six thousands to be exact, if you believe Kapil Sibal,” I said.

“That’s the problem with you and your Congress party,” she continued, “not only you don't want to go to Delhi to support Hazare but you are also underestimating him.”

“Let me make it clear, it is not my Congress party, it is Sonia Gandhi's, and I have no connection with any political party. As far as supporting Anna Hazare is concerned, I am a supporter of the cause he is fighting for but I have my reservations about the way the agitation being staged,” I said.

“If you have your opinion then you must present it to Hazare when we are in Delhi and not to me, I am going there only to support him and not to express my opinion,” the wife said.

“I told you earlier, neither you nor me going to Delhi and that is final.” I said, and continued, “I never said we will not support him. We are just ordinary people. There are politicians, intellectuals and social workers who can carry out this mission more meaningful way, but not us. We will give him all our moral support while watching his agitation live on our television.”

“You will support him by watching him fasting live on television while you are having your dinner, right?” the wife asked. “ You are becoming too selfish nowadays. In fact you must also fast along with him to show your solidarity,” the wife said.

“You know I have acidity problem and if I don’t take my food on time it will get worst, and secondly, if Anna Hazare’s health deteriorates after a couple of days of his fasting he will be forced to get admitted in a hospital by the authorities and he will walk out from the hospital healthier than ever. On the other hand if my health worsens there will be no one to take care of and if I die, even the insurance people won’t pay you the money, claiming that death due to fasting amounts to suicide and suicide is not covered under the insurance scheme.” I said.

“You have a habit of talking too much,” the wife said. “If you don’t want to fast then don’t fast but at least come to Delhi and support me to support Hazare. Can you do that?” the wife asked.

“Okay, I don't want to discourage you. I will try to get the tickets today itself. Are you happy now?” I asked.

“One more thing, tell your cousins in Mumbai to send us a nine-yard saree before we go,” the wife said.

“Nine-yard saree”? You wear normal saree, why you want to wear a nine-yard saree when you go to Delhi?” I asked.

“Not for me, it is for Hazare,” the wife said continued,” “If there is a police crackdown after midnight and Hazare jumps from the stage to evade arrest and lands in front of me I can offer him the saree. I am sure being a Maharashtrian he will be more comfortable in nine-yard saree than in a churidar like Baba Ramdev.”


Personal


billiga hotell london


Top Blogs


1 comment: